Thursday, November 16, 2006



Thirteen Holidays we Celebrate (and some of our traditions):

1. Thanksgiving We always go to one of our families houses for Thanksgiving. To us, Thanksgiving is all about family and so staying home seems lonely. The hubby always makes a "Thing I'm Thankful for List" and puts it on his desk at work for people to add theirs.
2. Christmas We are starting to want to do actual Christmas morning at home. But we again usually end up going to one of our families. We always do something fun with our stockings. The weekish before Christmas we'll go shopping and we'll try to buy for each other 10 things for the stocking and the total cost can only be $10. We try not to get junk, we try to get things the person really would want/need that are small (e.g. small toys for the kids, 1 pair of sock or misc office stuff).
3. New Years We usually go out for new years but it's not a big thing. Last year we ended up going to dinner early and then just staying home. But we always do the countdown and kiss (even if it's not midnight yet, what does it matter). Our kids are still to young to stay up that late.
4. Birthdays For our birthdays, we go out to eat and with the kids we do normal party type stuff. We try to do fun gifts but sometimes with the adults it's hard. For nieces and nephews, I try to send a card to each of them on their birthdays (we have 19 combined).
5. Presidents Day We don't usually do anything special for this but we do a day off work. So we usually end up going somewhere as a family.
6. Valentines Day Of course, we go out to dinner and hopefully the hubby remembers to get me something. lol. No, he does a good job.
7. Easter I'm a big easter fan but the hubby isn't. I want to do a big easter basket and he doesn't really want to do the whole easter bunny thing. So we compromise. I usually do something for the kids and buy them an Easter outfit. We of course do egg hunts and everything.
8. Anniversary We are fairly low key for our anniversary so far. We'll usually go out to dinner and go shopping or something. We exchange gifts. For our 1st, we went to Capitol Reef which was fun. But this year will be our 5th so I think we're going to go on a trip back east.
9. Memorial Day We got married on memorial day weekend so that makes it nice for our anniversary. The hubby's family always went to the cemetery and put flowers on family's graves. I never did. Plus, we don't have any family buried here. So sometimes we'll go put flowers on random people's graves.
10. Father's / Mother's Day We usually cook the other a nice meal and do a gift. The hubby makes an effort to get the Babe to sing me a cute some or make me something cute.
11. 4th of July I love fireworks! So we usually end up shooting fireworks like 5 times. We also buy a flag to display.
12. Labor Day Not much excitement with this one. We go somewhere because get the day off work.
13. Halloween We're not huge Halloween people either. We dress our kids up but we usually don't dress up. We end up buying and eating way too much candy.

What are some of your traditions? We need some suggestions.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. K T Cat
2. Bubba
3. Tina
4. Momma Bee
5. Slackermommy
6. Jenn
7. Carmen
8. Smurf
9. Lisa-Marie
10. Mert

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


13 comments:

K T Cat said...

I think everyone buys too much candy at Halloween. I can't remember the last person who told me that they ran out.

Great list! You put a lot of work into it.

My TT is up.

Bubba said...

Great list! Certainly reminds me of some of my favorite times with family.

Per your request: Pumpkin Crunch.

INGREDIENTS:
• 2 cups pumpkin puree
• 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
• 4 eggs
• 1 1/2 cups white sugar
• 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 1 cup margarine, melted
• 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix well and spread into the prepared pan.
3. Sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture and pat down. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top of the cake mix then drizzle the melted margarine all over the top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 1 hour but no longer than 1 hour and 20 minutes. Top cooled cake with whipped topping when ready to serve.

Thanks for stopping by! Happy TT!

Kendra said...

Bubba,
Sounds yummy! I'm going to try to make it tonight. I'll stop by and tell you how it went! Thanks!

Tina said...

I'll admit, I'm not a kid person (which may make me fuddy duddy at 27) but holidays are one of the times that really make me want to have kids. Kids take it so seriously, and in such a cute way. I have (much) smaller cousins who are always writing little speechs to give to remember our veterans or presidents, wanting to say grace at Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving, making little turkey shpaed table toppers... It's really endearing. And makes me a little sad that as grown-ups, we often forget the real reasons behind holidays.

Fantastic list!

Crista said...

Aw, what a nice list. Holidays are wonderful, and even more so when you can start your own (or continue) family traditions. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by my list today! :)

Slackermommy said...

I love traditions! I recently wrote a post about them. Great list!

Anonymous said...

birthdays as holidays...I LIKE!

Carmen said...

Christmas is my favorite holiday. :)

Smurf said...

I did TT for the first time yesterday... "13 Fun Things to do with Kids for Thanksgiving"

Link: http://discovering-the-truth.blogspot.com/2006/11/thursday-thirteens.html

Ok as far as tradtions... are you wanting things to do with family and children for the holidays? I have lots of ideas and things that I have put together of random things for Christmas and New Years, but I am sure we could all collectively come up with more, but before I give any ideas, I just want to make sure I am understanding what you would like. *blush*

Anonymous said...

I love the holidays! I tried that Pumpkin Crunch stuff just this week at work. It is so yummmy, and I don't like pumpkin pie that much. My coworker that made it said it was her Grandma's famous recipe.

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome list! I don't think much about our traditions, but perhaps I will. Thanks for the inspiration! Also, thanks for visiting my site!

Mary said...

Great list! It's funny how families are so different, isn't it? My husband is at the age now where he could give a darn about his birthday, but he celebrates because it's fun for his girls. :O)

Anonymous said...

What a fun list. I just may have to borrow this idea sometime!

Happt T13 (two, well, three days late).