Friday, October 20, 2006

Pumpkin Pie from Scratch

Today I ventured out there and tried making pumpkin pie from real pumpkin. Actually, I was so nervous about it, that I bought the pumpkin mix in a can also and made both. So we invited some friends over tonight to taste test my pumpkin pie and compare it to the pumpkin pie mix. So I will tell you which is better. I got my recipe from the Williams Sonoma catalog (they have recipes in there every couple of pages and their website has some excellent recipes). Here it is:

To do the pumpkin puree:

Buy a Pie pumpkin (also called Cinderella pumpkin, sugar pumpkin). This is a smaller type of pumpkin that is better for making pies with.

Cut it in half. Take out all the seeds and stringy stuff.

Put a couple of inches of water in a dish with the pumpkin and cover it and cook it in the microwave for 15 minutes.

The outside skin should practically fall off and you take the innards and mix them with a mixer.

The actual recipe is:

1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups pumpkin puree (1 pumpkin makes about that, maybe a little more)
3 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup milk
piecrust

In bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Add pumpkin, eggs, cream and milk; whisk to combine.

Pour filling into piecrust; bake at 425 for 15 minutes then turn down to 350 for 50-60 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.

I'll post tomorrow and let you know how it turns out and with a picture.

1 comment:

KathleenM said...

I know this will turn out great. If you sieve the cooked pumpkin first, the final pie texture will be more silky. I use almost this exact recipe, only half and half instead of the cream. Found your blog by entering "pie recipe" in Google Blog search.

Happy baking!