I recently ran across this blog article from a woman who just had an abortion. It's been quite a controversial blog in the blogging world lately (you can see she has 97 comments, on a post previous to this one she had like 500 comments). It was a real eye-opener for me because I don't think I know anyone who has had an abortion and if I do they for sure haven't shared their experience with me. As far as my religion goes, I am pro-life. I chose to be. But if I step away from my religion, I could be pro-choice. That's kind of confusing I know. But let me explain.
I am pro-life because no other decision you make will directly affect someone as much as creating a life or in this case (debatably) taking away a life. So at what point does the fetus because a life? At conception? At 12 weeks, 24 weeks, birth? I don't know. But I do think once the life is created, by having an abortion, you are taking away a life. End of story.
I could be pro-choice because I really think that the woman should be able to decide. After all, it is her body. I mean she is ultimately the one who should be able to decide if she wants to carry a baby for 9 months, take care of a child, give the baby up for adoption, or in my opinion, end the pregnancy thereby taking the baby's life. But taking that choice away from her is not my right is it? Because I believe one way doesn't mean that I should force everyone else to believe the same way by taking away their rights. I can also see situations where an abortion may be the best option. For example, when the mother's health is in question.
The woman referenced has quite a few other posts about the circumstances of how she got pregnant, her health situation and what made her decide to get an abortion. I'm not sure if what she is writing is completely true or not (the facts don't quite add up in my opinion, she would have a little more common sense than she does). I don't know if she is justified in her decision or not. That's not my place to judge her. I really was intrigued by the way she describes the abortion clinic. There was bulletproof glass on all the windows and security cameras watching every part of the building as well as the parking lot? Wow! I live a sheltered life. She says that she has received death threats. How sad is it that a woman can't even make a decision about what to do with her body without being afraid of being murdered for her decision.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It really is sad that people feel that it is wrong to take the life of child, and by expressing that opinion they feel they can take the life of the adult. Ever hear of two wrongs don't make a right?
My religion also says abortion is wrong, however I'm pro-choice. I believe that it is less an issue of "it's the woman's body" and more an issue of what sort of life is that child going to have? Is life more important than the quality of the life? And sadly, in our society, adoption is no longer the accepted option...even if someone can financially afford it thanks to our laws.
Post a Comment