Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Food Storage

Yesterday I heard a statement that again made me renew my efforts to have a store of food in case of emergency. The statement was, "If something were to happen and you don't have any food, you will have to sit by and watch your children starve to death." I'm not sure there is anything that could be much worse than that. Now this isn't to say that I have no food storage. I think we probably have 5-6 months worth. But I still want a years worth. So this brings me to my thought process today. How do you do food storage so it works?? My brother's approach is to buy a full years worth and put it in the basement and never even look at it (unless it was needed) for 20 years until it goes bad. Then cut your loses and count yourself lucky you never had to use it. The hubby's idea is quite different. His idea is to buy 2 cases of this when it's on sale and slowly use it. Although this sounds like a great idea, it's really hard to maintain. We did it a while ago with flour. We bought a ton of flour because it was on sale. So if something were to have happened just after we bought that flour we would have been fine. But now a few months later, we've used most of it up and so if something were to happen today then we'd be in trouble. Plus it's really hard to tell how much spaghetti sauce you need to make 1 full years worth of food storage.

So my new theory was. Do both. I did the math on the price of all that wheat that you are supposed to have (which in my opinion is the biggest part of what they suggest) and for my family of 4 it costs about $200 to buy all that wheat. Wheat lasts 20 years and most people rarely use it to cook with. So I'm taking donations. Lol Just kidding. But that's not too bad. Then you have the problem of where to store it ect. But at least I can sleep better at night. Then on top of that we'll buy extra whenever it's on sale and we'll have spaghetti sauce on wheat bread for a year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kendra.........did you get this

Anonymous said...

the message aboue is from Aunt L

Kendra said...

Yes Aunt L I did get your comment! I'm glad you figured it out!