Thursday, August 03, 2006


Thanks Nello for the amazing banner!

Thirteen Things I learned today at the fire station:

Our play group went on a tour of the fire station this morning which was fun! Here's 13 things we learned:

1. Firefighters here work 24 hour shifts working 3 every other day shifts on and then 4 days off.
2. It's like 120 degrees with all that gear on and the gear itself weights 40-50 pounds dry.
3. They actually carry like 500 gallons of water in the fire truck. Okay I'm slow but I didn't know they carried water around with them. 500 gallons only lasts about 15 seconds though.
4. Firemen crawl when in a burning house because it's a lot cooler down on the ground.
5. A fireman all suited up with oxygen on and everything can scare 10 toddlers to the point of screaming and crying.
6. Even if they don't have a fire dog, they like to pretend they do by telling the kids they have a 4 foot dog in closet who is sleeping which also can scare 10 toddlers to screaming and crying.
7. We should have a fire escape plan.
8. Matches and lighters aren't toys they are tools.
9. They're oxygen tanks last 14 minutes while fighting fires and they use 2 before another fire fighter relieves them.
10. They are all suited and out the door within 1 minute of dispatch and within 4 to 7 minutes to the scene (this was this stations response time, pretty good I think).
11. They have 4 guys that make up a crew (all of which are fire fighters): an engineer who drives, a paramedic, firefighter #1 who is in charge of water, and firefighter #2 who is the 1st person they actually send into the fire.
12. When you see tons of fire trucks at a fire with people who seem be just standing around, it's because they have to send 3 fire trucks, a fire rescue and a ladder truck to every house fire.
13. I'm glad that other women allow their husbands to be fire fighters so mine doesn't have to be.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. Lisa
2. Lynn
3. Frances
4. Carmen
5. Jen
6. Jeana
7. Kailani
8. Lisa
9. Lindsey

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I think you forgot to mention that they always seem to be incredible looking. LOL! I think seeing one in all their gear would be enough to scare me too! I had to call the fire dept once, for a stove fire. And four trucks showed up and filled my block. Turns out I didnt need them at all, just had to turn the stove off. Talk about embarassing!

Thanks for stopping by today.

Lynn said...

It's amazing all that they have to wear and carry....I'm glad that other women allow their husbands to do that also....I couldn't deal with the pressure! Great info.

Thanks for visiting!

Frances D said...

I used to work near the Fire Museum here in New York, and I used to love to stop in to visit. I also worked a few blocks from the Towers - on 9/11/01 I personally saw just how fearless firefighters really are.
Thanks for sharing.
Frances

Carmen said...

14. Firemen are hot (literally and figuratively) ha.

GreekGoddess said...

This past school year we took 4th graders to the local firestation and we were all amazed!! Great list

Jeana said...

Your site is very cute! Love all the little body parts. Ooh, that sounded creepy, didn't it? Thanks for stopping by today!

Lisa said...

My husband used to be a volunteer. He loved it, but then, of course, it became filled with all of those politics and drama and stuff like that. Plus we had moved way out into the country, and it was very time-consuming while trying to work two jobs. I appreciate each and every one of them though!

Lindsey said...

Oh wow, there's so much I didn't know, thanks for sharing!!!

Happy (belated) TT!