Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Guilt Parties

I have never hosted a "party" before and I got roped into my first one recently. I HATE these kind of parties. I don't go to them because I feel guilty and end up buying something I don't need/want. So I got roped into doing this one and I hated everything minute of it.

The kicker is this. I did everything they asked. They told me to send out X number of invitations and I did. They told me to call and remind people about it and we did. I even made cookies for them to eat. Well after the party was over, the lady explained to me that my party sales had to total $175. This is the part where I choked. The 2 people that ordered spend $40 combined (they both bought out of guilt). She said to get any of the benefits that were explained you would get if you hosted a party then you have to come up with $135 in sales by next week. She encouraged me with the fact that it could include my order. What order?!!?! I was banking off the fact that I didn't have to order anything because I got all these benefits of hosting the party! NOPE! I didn't get one thing from hosting the party. Park Lane Jewelry stinks! Don't buy from them and especially don't get roped into hosting a party with them.

This brings me to my point. Why do people sign up to sell things like jewelry, or stamps. Do they really make money off it? Does anyone really buy the stuff without just buying because they feel guilty? I don't understand what the big deal is. The lady who roped me into doing the party also does some stamp thing. It confuses me why they do that. I might spend the initial money to get all the free stuff and pose as a seller. But to host parties.....I'd just feel like I was making my friends feel guilty enough to buy stuff from me all the time. I guess they really believe in their products like I believe in I Hemstitch's products. Yes, I believe in my products but I don't shove them down people's throats all the time. I'm really upset at these Park Lane people. They don't know how to keep customers. I'll never host another party.

No comments: