Monday, November 05, 2007

The Future Generation

I am worried about our future generation. The hubby is teaching a class here at the local college. He rather enjoys doing this in addition to his regular job. This is the first class that he has taught that is a general education class though. So of course he has hired forced asked me to do his grading for him. I of course said no yes.

He has given one test so far. After grading that, I thought perhaps the hubby wasn't teaching the concepts very well so they did poorly. This may very well be the case but it really doesn't make a whole lot of since because they missed concepts that I know he taught thoroughly. Now I am grading a 3 page paper he had then write on a famous scientist.

What is wrong with these kids?!?!!

They can't write. They can't form complete sentences. I know most of them did not proof read their papers before handing them in. I am fairly sure a few of them just made up tons of stuff that was untrue about the person. One guy spelled his scientists name wrong! Helloooo? Earth to students. *Hint* You should probably spell the guys name correctly if you want to get any credit whatsoever for this paper. I have seen a paper that was completely plagiarized (that's the kind of doctor I want take care of me...one that cheats). I have seen papers where they completely misunderstood the assignment and wrote about the scientist's personal life when they were supposed to write about their contribution to science. I don't know how many grammar errors I found. And I didn't even count the missed commas or numbers not being written out completely. Do they not teach English in schools anymore?

I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe most of them are freshman. But how do I grade a paper that has the scientist's name spelled wrong? How do I deal with plagiarizing? What should the hubby tell these kids to help them understand how poor their writing skills are?

No comments: