Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Lost Art of Writing (You know by hand)

Yesterday, I wrote by hand about a page on regular old paper. A little while later, I started complaining that my hand was hurting. I thought that perhaps because it was raining that it was aching from the change in weather (which sometimes happens). But then I thought about it for a minute and realized it was because I had hand written that page today. I mentioned it to the hubby and he asked me when the last time I had written anything that long was. I really had to think and I couldn't remember the last time I had written a full page of handwriting.

Isn't that sad?? Everything I do is on the computer. I used to keep a handwritten journal and this blog has overtaken even that. I still write little to-do lists or I write down notes from a phone call but never is it a very substantial amount of writing.

So I am rallying around the lost form of art, handwriting. People used to write with a feather quill and ink and have you ever seen any of their writing? It was so gorgeous and neat. I find that my handwriting gets sloppier the more I don't use it. My 3-year-old son knows where the first letter of his name is on the computer but he can't write it yet. I really wonder when they teach typing in school now? I took it in junior high school and I bet if I asked my parents, I doubt they took it. Maybe they don't even teach it anymore because kids now learn it quite quickly with their text messages on their cell phones.

So I am going to handwrite another page today and another tomorrow until my hand stops hurting. I think it's a shame that I can't even write 1 page without feeling my unused muscles hurting.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

We teach typing in grade 4 in my district. many of us still practice the art of cursive, but there is only so much time in the school day. You know, the Big Tests are everything.

tiffany said...

this is something i think about a lot. i was thinking about taking pictures of my mother's garden and turning them into some kind of note cards/stationary as a christmas gift...and then i thought, who even writes notes anymore?
and i was very sad.

also, i think i used to have nice handwriting.
not so much anymore.
perhaps we can start some kind of revolution in reverse?

tiffany said...

p.s.
daisy:
no child left behind!
except the ones who have been cheated by the form of standardized tests!