Monday, April 30, 2007

On Becoming a Mother

When Michael was born I thought he was dead. See, his heart rate dropped during labor and he was born with the cord around his neck, and when they put him on my stomach he was gray and didn't move. And for that split second, I thought he was dead. Now, looking back I realize that they would not have put him on my stomach if he was in fact dead, but I really honestly did not think he was alive. And I wouldn't touch him. The nurses must have thought I was the coldest person. And finally, the nurse took him away, cleaned him up, and he started to cry. And so did I.

And then, they handed him to me. And our eyes met. And the minute I saw him, I thought, of course, it was you, all along. And I couldn't believe how much he looked like his Dad.

Now for the confession. I cheated a little on this blog exchange post. It's stolen from my "Real Moms" post. I tried and tried to write something else, but I kept coming back to this, the moment I became a Mom.

And now, Mommy is my favorite word.

This post is part of The Blog Exchange. Jodi is mom to a 2 year old, a part-time lawyer, and wife. She blogs at Jodifur about all these things and many more. Please visit her site, and you will see Kendra's post!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful!

Jenn in Holland said...

Yes, Jodi, yes! That is a magical moment unparalleled in my life too. And to think I got it three times over. Each with a caveat like you've written here, but three times to experience that absolute awe and wonder of hearing baby's first cry.
This post gave me chills this morning. This line especially " I thought, of course, it was you, all along." Perfect.

soccer mom in denial said...

Jenn said it for me.

Anonymous said...

It's not cheating. This is a great post. It's the day you became a mommy!

Mayberry said...

Agreed--it's perfect for this topic (and truly gave me the chills, in a good way).

Anonymous said...

I "borrowed" some of my thoughts from other entries too ;-)

It is still an awesome post!

Anonymous said...

a perfect post for today - previously stated or not!

Jennifer said...

Very lovely.

Alex Elliot said...

I remember reading this before too and I absolutely would have done the same thing as you and used it again. I enjoyed reading it both times although both times it also gave me the chills.