Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Truth About Television

We don't have cable. We don't have rabbit ears to get any channels. If you turn our t.v. on, you see blue screen unless you put in a movie. I let out the secret that I've been watching Grey's Anatomy via abc.com. Here's the truth, I'm addicted. I started by watching Grey's Anatomy, then I liked Dancing with the Stars and now I've added The Bachelor to my abc viewing pleasure. I've had to think about why we don't watch t.v. and find better reasons for justifying my watching t.v.

This brings me to my thoughts today. I haven't watched t.v. regularly in at least 5 years probably more like 7. No, I don't know who the last American Idol was and I have no clue what the plot on Desperate Housewives is (although I think the name speaks for itself on this one). Anyway, I'm rambling.

Since my regular viewing has been so long, my brain has changed. Now that I have been watching t.v., it's freaking out on me. I enjoy reading and watching movies. My brain understands these. There is a character, they go through life and then they live happily ever after. The problem comes with t.v. is that you get a 30 minute glimpse of that then you are left hanging. When I read a book, I'll read for a while then put it down and my brain will be left wondering what happened to Cinderella. So later that night or the next day, I'll finish it and find out what happened. The problem with t.v. comes here. I can't pick it back up and finish. The stupid t.v. makes me wait a week before I get another 30 minute glimpse. By the time the next episode comes, I've forgot what happened the last week or that there even was a character named Grey.

My brain is seriously confused as to why I am putting it through such torture. I watched The Bachelor today and all day my brain has been wondering who he picks. But I know that by next Tuesday, I'll have forgotten who the contestants even were.

I guess this brings me back to my original notion that there was a very good reason why we don't watch t.v. It's a waste of time.

No comments: