“I think I’m sick,” you said.
“I don’t think so but how bout I sit with you for awhile.”
“Ok.”
In the next few moments, I noticed how much you’ve changed in just 3 years.
My how you have grown in 3 years.
When you came into this world you needed me so much-everything depended on me. You were my world and I was yours.
Life continued like that for 14 months.
Then you discovered the freedom that came with walking, you found friends, and DORA. You were still my world and I was still your world but I had lost a little piece of you.Then you turned 2 and the next 12 months were filled with toddler beds, shapes, colors, counting, pottying, dressing yourself, and more DORA. You were still my world but somedays I didn’t feel like I was in yours.
Now you are 3 ½ (almost), you can spell your name (eyes closed even), tell me every letter of the alphabet, reach the sink- without a step stool – and you still
L O V E DORA…
…but you have been (for the first time) choosing other things over the character that has brought joy to you for so long. With all the changes you have had, Dora has been there steady and strong. There was a time I said “I am sick of Dora” but the last few weeks watching you and realizing you are growing up I have been thinking “Where is Dora?” She, like me, is still there but not needed as much as she once was.
I don’t know what changes the next 3 years will bring but I am glad I get to share them with you.
This post was written by Adymommy. She blogs at http://www.adymommy.blogspot.com/ where she writes about her life with 3 young kids and a wonderful husband. They plan to homeschool so they do lots of crafts and "homework" with the kids and she is always looking for fun educational things to do with them. I have a post about Becoming a Mother over at Adymommy's blog today. Please check it out.

3 comments:
I don't want to lose that part of my little girl too! Thanks for writing what I feel.
Beautiful post!!!! I remember thinking this past September when my older son started preschool that for the first time I wouldn't know what went on every second of his life. While part of me was thrilled that he would have a certain amount of independence, a tiny bit of a life that was just his, part of me was sad. In fact thinking about it just now made me a little sad, but not enough sad enough to overcome the feelings of happiness that he has preschool tomorrow!
lovely post - it's those little changes that sneak up on you that show how much has really gone on!
Post a Comment