Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Parenting Question?

I have a parenting question that we need help with. The Babe has learned a new skill. He learned how to work the computer mouse. The hubby and I helped him learn how to maneuver around the disney website. He calls it his 'game' and wants to play it all. day. long. every. day. I think it's fairly educational for a 3-year-old and slightly better than t.v. or movies.

The question is how much should I let my 3-year-old play on the computer per day?

Because it's new and the computer is something he sees mom and dad play on a lot, I think he would play on it for as long as I let him.

The 2 problems are: a. we only have 1 computer so if he's on the computer entertaining himself then I have no computer to play on and b. when I'm on the computer doing something super important (like beating my high score on diner dash), he whines all day, "I wanna do something fun." So I guess the part of 'B' that I struggle with is, how do I play with my 3-year-old and get stuff done?

What ever happened to kids who would go outside and pretend and have fun doing that?

Yesterday, I set the timer for 15 minutes and told him when it went off he had to be done. The timer went off and I thought, "He's being really good, why interrupt?"

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to use the computer time as a reward to encourage both of my girls to "help out" first then they can have computer time...about 30 min. at a time. Mine are 8 and 4.

Good Luck

Anonymous said...

I use the computer the same way I use TV, movies, V.smile, and the Leap Pad--if your good-it all fallls under the catergory of PRIVELEDGE and if you watch TV and play the V.Smile for the total allotted time for electronic play during the day then don't bther asking for a computer game. Since my daughter would die without her daily dose of Dora- I give her 2 hours of electronic time a day. Dora is 30 mins(on TV) so she has 1.5 hours of time she can choose to do what she wants with-but it can't be straight play - 30 mins MAX at once-I don't wnat her retnas rotting:)

Gee that sounded alot more complicated than it actually is-probably because we have always had these rules-oo and she has no concept of 2 hours YET.
Good Luck