Thursday, January 25, 2007

Stupidity at it's Finest

Yesterday was crazy! I went to my ballet class and when I tried to park there were no parking places. at. all. I looked for 15 minutes until my class started. Then I got mad and parked in this weird place because I was in a hurry. I ran to class and when I came back there was a gate that they had closed and locked where I parked my car. Oooppps.

Well soon there was quite a crowd of people who had also parked behind this gated area. Come to find out, it was a construction zone and after the construction people left they locked the gate.

So after calling everyone we could think of and find, I saw a campus policeman and flagged him down. He came and told us that we shouldn't have parked in the construction zone in the first place. He also told us that our cars were stuck there all night because they didn't have access to the gate lock code.

We only have one car and 2 drivers and 3 kids in car seats. It was 9:00 at night. My children should be in bed. Luckily, I had a cell phone. I call up the hubby and he says, "Hmmm...call a cab?" He gives me a number for a cab and I call. Then I wonder how much a cab is going to cost and whether they will take my debit card (because I never carry cash). I forgo the cab because of expense and the lack of cash. He ends up calling our neighbor and borrowing his car while the neighbor sits with our sleeping kids so the hubby can come get me.

During this time, I was standing outside the gated area without a coat in a leotard, tights, thin jeans and a thin sweater. Sounds like me huh? I'm freezing my ballet bum off. I walked across the street to Carls Jr. because it'd be easier to find than in the huge parking lot unless you just looked for a tall skinny piece of ice.

At Carls Jr, there are a few people inside. First is a non-scary black lady who is not eating but reading the newspaper with a younger girl who is her daughter. I sit close to her and after talking on my cell phone I decide I had better order something or they'll kick me out. Being the idiot I'm turing out to be this night, I order a shake. On my way, we meet scary homeless man #1. We meet him because he cat calls me the whole time I'm ordering. Here we meet nice tough Carls Jr. employee woman. I tell her that I'm petrified of scaryville Carls Jr. and ask her when she closes. She tells me 10:00 but that she won't kick me out until my ride gets there.

I get my shake and go back to sit down to eat it. Scary homeless man #1 sees me with my cell phone and says, "Let me borrow you phone."
I said, "No, thanks."
He laughingly said, "What you think I'm going to steal it?"
I said, "Actually, yes."
He then goes on for a few minutes about how he doesn't mess with "little girls" just people like king kong and the boogie man.

At this point, I'm starting to freak out. You know the kind where you wet your pants (proves I am a little girl) but no I didn't wet my pants. Homeless man #2 comes by and scares us a little. The nice, tough Carls Jr. employee woman came to our rescue and scared the homeless people out.

Finally at 10:00, the hubby pulls in. It makes me realize that there are freaks out there and I should be careful of where I live and what kind of places I go to. I live such a sheltered life.

Now the only problem is we're both home and the car is across town. They unlocked the construction area this morning but now we have to find a way to get back over there to get our car.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scary!! I hope you have gotten your car back by now.

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I would have totally freaked out. Enjoy your ballet class.

Anonymous said...

Made me shake just reading it. We don't have homeless or crime(except the occasional car stereo theft) where I am from I probably would have been stupid enough to give him the phone. OH and I am 100% sure I would have wet my pants.
Hope Ballet gets better.