Thursday, March 29, 2007

Deep Thoughts

Your regularly scheduled blogging has been interrupted for some deep thoughts. Your regular silly mommy blogging stories will resume tomorrow.

I have been thinking for a while about a song I heard recently in church. The words go:

"Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are things Jesus taught."

I'm not sure why these particular words stuck out to me the other day. But I thought in my head, how does that work with a 3-year-old who is the tantrum king? As I pondered this week on this song, I came to the conclusion that you can discipline while still being gentle and loving. My favorite example would be my husband.

I am the one who has a quick tempter and while I don't ever hit my children, I am quick to send him to time out because of my temper. Now the hubby on the other hand is always slow to send him to time out and would rather gently and lovingly talk to him. Even after the Babe is in time out, I'm always still stern and make him apologize. The hubby also makes him apologize but just has a gentleness that I can't even come close to.

So next time you guys see me in the store dragging my toddler around (ungently and unlovingly), remind me that I need to be more gentle and loving. I'm not promising that I won't yell at you either though. But apparently, I need to take lessons from the hubby on how to be more gentle and loving.

No comments: