Monday, May 21, 2007

Parenting Insecurities

The Little Lady has been acting funny. She got a rash all over her body last week. I was sure it was an allergy and mentally went over anything I had given her that could have possibly caused such a rash. I cut out a few things from her diet and the rash got better. But then the next day, it was back in a milder version. It has since been only on her arms and face. Coupled with magical disappearing/reappearing rash, she has been waking up in the middle of the night a bunch of times. She is inconsolable! The only way to calm her is to feed her. She's 9 months old! She doesn't need to eat in the middle of the night...twice. So of course I am again mentally going over anything and everything it could be. Seasonal Allergies? A medicine she was taking? Food Allergies?

This brings me to my concern. Why is it that I can't trust my own instincts? I know the answer. Because I am bombarded with information from everyone else. I ask an opinion of a friend and she tells me about someone she knew who's child went into an allergic reaction where her throat swelled up after having a mild rash for a few days. Then I look on the net and find that she could have any number of scary maladies. Then I pull from my mental bank a show on t.v. By this point, my motherly instinct is completely gone and I've convinced myself that she is going to die if I don't take her to the ER right now. Which thinking rashionally (lol) now is just silly.

No, I didn't take her to the ER. I am considering taking her to the doctor in the next week but still haven't convinced myself that it's serious enough. So I'm back to square one. What did she eat? What has she touched? Which I am sure is all the doctor is going to ask me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about Roseola? Oops! More advice!