I have this problem.
A few Saturdays ago, we went for a walk as a family. It was a beautiful day so the Little Lady was on the tricycle with the hubby pushing her while the Babe was in the stroller while I pushed him. We got a little carried away racing and there was a crash. The Little Lady's foot got stuck in the peddles of the tricycle and the hubby/Little Lady went crashing to the ground. There was some blood involved but I'll spare you the gory details. Now to my point. As soon as I saw that the hubby and the Little Lady were hurt, I felt sick. Like literally sick to my stomach. I felt pain that the ones I love were in pain. My heart hurt. Now that sounds very melodramatic but I really didn't understand this.
Then I took my kids to the doctor this week. They both had to get shots. The Babe is 4 now and has to be a big boy to show his little sister how easy it is. He sat there just shaking because it hurt so much and never cried. It hurt my heart so much! The Little Lady cried and wailed but that didn't hurt my heart as much as seeing my little boy just shake because he was hurting.
Then I went to dinner and was sitting waiting for the hubby to run an errand and I watched 2 teenage boys. They were playing this game with a quarter where you tried to keep it spinning on a table. Each took a turn and whoever knocked it off the table or made it stop spinning lost. When they lost, the winner took the quarter and flicked it into the knuckles of the loser....causing him pain. I could see the pain on one of the boys face. This made my heart hurt. But then I realized that these stupid boys were inflicting pain on themselves. I don't understand that.
But I do understand that teenagers are their own breed. And the Babe will someday make stupid choices and pain will result from them. Even though I told him not to. And this made my heart hurt.
I realize that the Little Lady is going to come home heartbroken over a boy. This will probably last all of 3 hours. But that will make my heart hurt.
I truly didn't understand that my mother felt pain in her heart when I was in pain. I guess this is all part of being a mother. I do not understand how mothers who have children who are very sick, or hurt badly in car accident deal with this heart pain I felt this week. They must be stronger mothers than I am. Or perhaps they have strength from God.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think we deal with what gets thrown at us. And hope that what gets thrown isn't too unbearable.
Post a Comment